st. patrick's day garland

The other day I was cleaning the bathroom and trying to decide what to do with my little dove when I was done. Well, he decided for me by walking into the room and climbing into the bathtub. Ok then, another bathtub painting party it is! This time I taped a couple of pieces of parchment paper up on the tiles and gave him the yellow, blue, and green paint.
After he was done I hung them up in the kitchen to dry/admire for a couple of days while I decided what exactly I wanted to do with them. Then an oh-so-rare flash of brilliance happened and I pulled a piece of green vellum and two different green papers out of my scrapbooking supplies. With the lighter shade of green scrapbook paper I let my son color all over it with every shade of green crayons and colored pencils that we had. It was quite the masterpiece. Then, using my Fiskar's circle cutter I cut several 3" and 4" circles out of all the papers and when I was done I was left with this:
More importantly though, I was also left with these:
I laid them out in a random order as far as colors, but kept the pattern as 3 small circles, 1 big circle. Then I punched two holes in each one (not hard, but a little time consuming), strung them up on string I already had and viola! A cute, free, St. Patrick's day garland that my little dove helped me make. :)

I really love the way the parchment paper circles look with the paint, almost like a marbling effect. I think that this would also be a cool project if you're a teacher or work at a day care. I know that teachers tend to spend a lot of their own money on things for their classes, and what a great way to decorate the classroom for little or no money, and the kids would be so proud of their hard work!

Linked up to Fun Stuff Fridays and Made by You Mondays

Labels: , , , ,